About Rendifield Fabricated fittings
The ever increasing demand for more complex and cost-efficient pipeline designs has resulted in a greater need for HDPE fabricated fittings and pipe as a means to solve installation situations where common fittings fail.
Rendifield mining and industrial piping solutions pipe fittings can be manufactured from a pipe in a wide variety of sizes and pressure classes but mostly from 75mm OD upwards and Class 6 or higher. The fittings can be plain ended (for buttwelding) or have stubs fitted for flanges or Tech Clamps. Permissible working pressure is 60% of the class of pipe used to fabricate fitting, e.g. 10bar pipe produces a 6 bar fabricated fitting.
Rendifield’s commitment to Excellence in Service will ensure that your project stays on target.
Fabricated fittings categories and uses
Fittings can be grouped in one of the following categories:
- Fittings that extend or terminate pipe runs
- Caps and Plugs
- Fittings that change a pipe’s direction
- Elbows (ells)
- Fittings that Connect two or more pipes
- Flex couplings
- Fitting reducers
Fabricated fittings physical composition
Specifications of Materials
Various materials having different standards are used to make various types of pipe fittings like elbows, adapters, tees, flanges, etc. Some popular fabricated materials and specifications for pipe fittings are as follows:
- Nickel and Nickel Alloys: ASTM B-366, ASME SB-366, Nickel 200 & 201 (WPN & WPNL), Inconel 600 (WPNCI), Incoloy 800(WPNIC), Incoloy 825 (WPNICMC), Monel 400 (WPNC), Alloy 20 (WP 20 CB), Hastelloy, C-276, C-4, C-22 etc.
- Stainless Steel: ASTM A-403 and ASME SA-403, 304, 304L, 304H, 304N, 304LN, 316, 316N, 316LN, 309, 310, 317L, 321, 321H, 347 etc.
- Chrome-molybdenum: ASTM A-234 & ASME SA-234,WP-5, WP-11, WP-9, WP-91, WP-22 etc.
- Aluminum: ASTM B-361, 5083, 66061, 5086
- Titanium: ASTM B-363 & ASME SB-363, WPT7, WPT12, WPT2
- Other Materials:
- Fiberglass / Composite
- Iron (Gray / Cast/ Ductile)
- Polyethylene (PE)
- Polypropylene (PP)
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
Specifications of Size
To determine the usage of a pipe fitting, size is a very important criteria. Here, the main considerations are inside diameter and outside diameter where the inside diameter (ID) has the fitting size matched to the inside diameter of connecting line. The outside diameter (OD) has the fitting size matched to the outside diameter of connecting line. Besides these, sizes also refer to-
- English / Fractional sizes: Measurement done in inches
- Metric sizes: Units in mm/cm
Cleaning and care tips of pipe fittings:
In most of the pipe fitting systems, contamination is the leading cause of problems. This problem demands for careful installation and regular maintenance so that the fittings can prevent any blockages or system breakdown. Depending on the type of the pipe fitting, there are different cleaning methods.
For example, one of the caring tips for cleaning hose or tube assembly is that the hose and tube assemblies should be blown out with filtered shop air or flushed and then should be blown out with a solvent which is chemically compatible with the hose material. The ends of the hose / tube assembly should be capped or plugged till the time the assembly is installed.
Pressure and Temperature Ratings:
Temperature and Pressure are the two important factors determining the safe and effective working of any industrial pipe fitting. The range of temperature and pressure depends on the final application, the material being used etc. There are various standards that are laid down in reference to the temperature and pressure parameters. These are as follows:
- Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP): This is commonly used to define standard conditions for temperature and pressure. These are important for the measurements and documentation of chemical and physical processes.
- Normal Temperature and Pressure (NTP): This is defined as air at 20 degree C (293.15 K, 68 degree F) and 1 atm ( 101.325 kN/m2, 101.325 kPa, 14.7 psia, 0 psig, 29.92 in Hg, 760 torr). Density is at 1.204 kg/m3 (0.075 pounds per cubic foot).
- Standard Ambient Temperature and Pressure (SATP): Thisrefers to temperature at 25 deg C (298.15 K) and pressure of 101 kPa.
- International Standard Atmosphere (ISA): Defined to 101.325 kPa, 15 deg C and 0% humidity.
A pipe fitting published working pressure is the maximum pressure that the pipe should see while in service. A fitting’s published burst pressure is the value at which a brand new piece of pipe will fail during one time pressure test.
Fabricated fittings applications
There is no end to applications of pipe fittings so long there is no end to the applications of pipes. While the list of piping applications continues to expand, its strength, flexibility, very good flow rates, and high chemical resistance are qualities that are uniquely suited for the movement or transfer of liquids, steam, solids, and air from one point to another. With piping, pipe fittings have many other uses as follows:
- The transfer of extremely hazardous materials such as chemicals and waste.
- Protection of sensitive equipment from high pressures.
- Protection from corrosion and other extreme weather conditions.
- Resistance to household and industrial chemicals.
Considering the various purposes of pipe fittings, these pipe fittings are used in various industries like:
- Chemical / Petrochemical
- Food, Beverage, and Dairy
- Oil and Gas
- Process Instrumentation
- Pulp and Paper
- Marine & dredging
- Road & highway construction
- Ventilation etc.
In all the above-mentioned industries pipes are used to transfer liquid, gas, slurries, and other solids and fluids from one area to another, and accordingly different categories of pipe fittings are used. Thus, pipe fittings play a vital role in the proper functioning of pipes and tubes in various applications.
- Steel reinforced stubs for high pressure applications predominantly in the gas industry (above 25 bar)
- Fabricated parts for saddles
- Fabrication of large diameter fluorinated Petroplas pipe and fittings for fuel and hydrocarbon contaminated environments
- Gas pipe fabrications
- FR pipe fabrications